Charlie Willis

Charlie Willis
This is me

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

BP9_Teacher Tube


     So, I have a question for all of you teachers out there...Have you ever wanted to show your class something that maybe you saw at home on your personal computer and when you go to school the next day and you go to access the website it is blocked? I cannot tell you the number of times that I have wanted to do that with a video that I saw on Youtube.com. Well, somebody much smarter than I came up with a solution and it is called Teachertube.com. In the image above, I had searched the kennedy assassination and there was the Zapruder film. The neat thing about teacher tube is that it is generally not blocked by school filtering systems, and if it is blocked it is usually an easy request to unblock it. Teacher tube is created as a site that promotes educationally sound videos. Joining Teacher Tube is free and easy, and once you are a member, you can upload videos as well. Educators are encouraged to comment on video's, and I even found a link at the bottom of the search results page for lesson plans that could be used in a number of different subjects.
     Under the video that is playing is a text box where members leave comments about the video and could even offer some uses of the video being presented. This is designed in the same manner as Youtube, but this has been created by educators, so content is not an issue. Also on the page with the video is a place for you to get the embed code for the video and/or the link to post the video on a website or a blog. Just like youtube, there is information on the person that uploaded the video and a link to other video's that that user has posted on teacher tube as well. There is a rating system where members can rate the video, and one thing that I liked is that in the place where it tells about the person that uploaded the video, it also tells what age group the video might be most beneficial for. In the case of my screen shot, it says high school. I hope you have enjoyed reading about Teacher tube and you might find a way to use it in your classroom.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Charlie. I have heard of Teacher Tube and looked around it before, but i never did find anything that was "GOOD", like i could just make better videos for my students, but maybe i just didn't look hard enough. Is there a way to search by rating and subject... that might be helpful... I didn't know u could get the embed code either thats pretty cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love teachertube.com. Besides the fact that I can access this at my worksite, this site offers an array of videos that can be used in the classroom. I love to see students reactions as I log on to teachertube.com. They find it amusing that we have our own platform. I normally go to the site to view videos and/or look for images. With such an assortment of media readily available, I forget that we can also post our own items on the site. This website is both convenient and educational at the same time.

    Thank you for sharing and I hope to have my videos up on teachertube.com sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Charlie! Finally, You Tube videos can be accessed in the classroom. There is so many instructional videos on sound engineering (a class I teach) issues on You Tube. Your blog was great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Charlie, Teacher Tube is something that I find easy to access in my class since I teach computer applications. The one thing I have encouraged on the use of this site is the search of other subject content to reinforce learning. The bottom line is many teachers have taken the time to complete such an awesome learning aide, that it is almost like having a teacher for hire on the spot. I find that it also gives students a new voice and presentation technique to help with retention. I must admit, I did have a problem remembering fractions to help with a student, so I showed them a video that was done by a math teacher about a fraction rap, and it totally help my student. I love this tool and teachers can add it to their bag of tricks.

    Thanks for sharing Charlie and I look forward to seeing more of your contributions.

    Yvan

    ReplyDelete