Charlie Willis

Charlie Willis
This is me

Friday, June 3, 2011

My Reply to Ali Weinreb's post

Ali's original post:

Copyright has always been in my vocabulary for a long time ever since I started college. Going to a design/art school it was enforced to always make original work and have original ideas so you wouldn't run into copyright problems. It's such a broad topic and can be very confusing with what can actually be copyrighted and what can't be. After reading the article US government finally admits most piracy estimates are bogus, the first thing that came to my mind was fake purses. It's a problem here in NY that they sell fake bags, wallets etc on the street. So many people do it, law enforcement can't even keep up with it. On a financial side, people who purchase these bags probably can't afford the real ones, so I don't think it is actually effecting the designers. But on a copyright side, I would be very upset if I had a brand and a company and people were able to recreate it and sell it on the street. I don't really know if that will ever be resolved as it is a huge problem.

All of the videos were very informative, I like that Nathan got straight to the point in his descriptions and definitions and was able to brake it down in very simple terms for the everyday person to understand.

Good Copy Bad Copy wasn't what I was expected at all. I thought it was going to be a boring documentary about how wrong it is to use other people's work. Instead I was pleasantly surprised with the cultural movement the internet had with the making of music. I hear all he time how people are losing jobs in the music industry and the internet is ruining music. I disagree actually, and agree with the man who stated that the business has to embrace it and change. The power of the internet cannot be controlled nor should it, which was pointed out with the 'pirate bay' people. That would be violated our rights as people. I also found it very interesting that they were correct with they don't have the same laws we have here in America, so who are we to say it's wrong and interfere. I loved what Brazil was doing wit the music how awesome it was to come end the documentary with it coming back to the producer in America. These people don't want money they want to just create, they should be able to do just that.

@Ali:
Hey Ali, I read through your posting and I agree that copyright has been in my vocabulary since I started college as well. Your comments on the handbags in New York are really insightful. I agree that most of the people that buy those handbags on the street corners could not afford to buy the genuine article, but I do think that the designers of those bags should be able to protect their designs. I do agree in what you said "I don't really know if that will ever be resolved as it is a huge problem."

I am not so sure I agree with you on the controlling the internet thing. I will admit that there are a lot of sites out there that make music, movies, software, and almost anything that you want. The Good Copy/Bad Copy movie talked mostly about music and movies, but what about the software that is pirated? Would you feel the same way about that? Should someone that reformats a computer be able to download a copy of Windows or the OSx operating systems without paying for it? Think about if you designed a graphic design program and marketed it then found out someone had put it on torrentz.com and now it is available for free? I know as a musician, I would be upset....(that does not mean that I would not be flattered that someone thought enough about what I made to put it out there, but I would still be upset).

No comments:

Post a Comment