Charlie Willis

Charlie Willis
This is me

Friday, June 24, 2011

Week 4 reading Chapters 9 - 12

Week 4 is upon us and I am looking at the reading for this week and thinking to myself...I have seen a movie that sounds like this. The movie was called Pay it Forward, and dealt with a young boy who devised a plan to help people make the world a better place. The movie went along with the theory that if one person does something nice for 3 people, and then those three people do something nice for 3 people...it all adds up in the long run and makes the world a better place.




Chapter 9, Lighting a Spark, and deals with how perception of a situation and the attitude that you use when dealing with that situation can make all the difference.Lighting a spark falls along the same lines as pay it forward. Doing something for someone, like Anthony in the chapter, without expecting anything in return might just lead to an even greater thing. My response to how am I paying it forward...Well, I give my students and family everything and try not to expect things back. Of course there are some things that I believe will come out of my actions. I would hope that the play I am working on, or the music that I am rehearsing, or maybe the yard I am taking care of for my family will result in a good performance or a family that appreciates what I am trying to do for them.

Chapter 10 was entitled: Being the Board, and in this chapter the authors deal with trying to change our perception. We are to think of ourselves as that playing board for the game of life. When we think of ourselves as the board rather than one of the pieces of the game, we can see what we want to see happen. I really like the fact that the authors mention again rule #6 (not taking oneself too seriously). How appropriate that being the board and rule #6 go hand in hand. The story of the violinist that came in too early really hit home with me, for I have done that once or twice (ok, probably a lot more than I want to admit).

In Chapter 11, Creating Frameworks for Possibility, the authors speak of how we can change or make different frameworks. They list 3 steps in doing this...1. Make a new distinction in the realm of possibility, 2. Enter that territory, and 3. Keep distinguishing what is on and off track. There was one particular paragraph that stood out to me in this chapter. In that paragraph the author had just finished telling the story of the little girl that had been treated for leukemia. The authors explained that in the realm of possibility there is no division between ideas and actions. The authors go on to say that leaders that become their visions are often though of as brave by the rest of us. How true that is...I think about the people that I know and admire for making a difference in so many lives and how they may have been though of as a brave person or a person that took a great chance. People like Lincoln, King, Beethoven, or even Elvis.

Finally, I come to chapter 12, The We Story. In this chapter, the author focuses on how two (or more) people can work on a togetherness or an "us." The story of the authors father telling te children about the Jews and the Arabs, and the way that the student exclaimed "What a wonderful opportunity." This is how we need to be a "We." As I contemplate the last chapter in this book, I think about some of the great "we" moments that I have had as a music teacher. I think of the choir that I taught in 1996 that won grand champion choir at Music festivals USA in Orlando, and the same choir in 1997 that won Music Festivals USA best show choir in the SE United States. I connected with those students in a special way. They sang my music and became a part of something great. I think of the musical I directed just last year. The school I was teaching at had never done a musical, and when I took that position I said we were going to. It was what was best for "us." Yes, there were trials and there were times when I thought it would not work. I am even sure that some of the students thought the same thing. But on opening night, as I sat in the pit at my piano, watching those students pull off AIDA was a remarkable feeling that I hope they will never forget. I know that I won't. I have shared my knowledge with many that are maybe not as talented as I, and I have shared with many that are much more talented than I....But that is the "we" story....the sharing and the creating of "us."

No comments:

Post a Comment